According to the City of Boston's web site, the city hosts over 12 million annual visitors from all over the place. The city is "renowned for its cultural facilities, world-class educational institutions, champion sports franchises, as well as its place at the very forefront of American history." You can find more information about Boston in general from its web site for visitors. The Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau site is also helpful. Some information more specific to the SIGIR conference and its surrounding area:
- Information about traveling to and around Boston, including an overview of the "T"
- A list of some restaurants
- Some recommended tourist activities
SIGIR 2009 Special Events
In addition to the traditional SIGIR social events (including reception, poster night, banquet, etc), we are excited to announce the organization of three group events, specific to the great city of Boston. All special events are optional; the fees are not included in the registration. Participation to events below do not require conference registration. All ages.
Two of the events will happen only if there are enough people interested, so please click on the links to find out more and to express interest.
- Saturday July 18, afternoon : Boston DuckTour - CANCELLED
- Sunday July 19, 3-4:30PM Prudential Skywalk tour (information); $10. Those who are interested will gather at the registration desk and proceed as a group for this exciting panorama for the city.
- Wednesday July 22, 7:30-10PM Harbor Cruise (information). Come enjoy a harbor cruise at sunset. If we can get enough people (min 100), we will reserve a cruise for SIGIR members at $20-$30 per person (depending on the count). If interested, make sure to fill the questionnaire linked above. If we cannot muster enough interest, or if you are not available Wednesday evening, you can still take the cruise on your own.
Contact Virgil Pavlu if you have any questions.
Each of these activities can also be done on your own, though some of them become difficult to schedule during peak tourist season. We have also compiled a larger list of activities you might find interesting.